Garage Door Security
There is an increase in break-ins around Christmas time due to the appeal of presents left under the tree or hidden in storage. Many of us have garages which are joint to the home so are a route in for thieves. Even if your garage is detached from your home, you might be using it for storage so a break in would still be devastating at Christmas time. Many of us overlook the security features of our garages and instead focus on the main entrance to our homes. Christmas is a time associated with joy and family, so don’t let poor garage door security dampen the spirit.
Academy Garage Doors aim to provide a top quality service for our customers and install garage doors which last. This is why we provide our customers with all the tips and advice they need. In this article, we have put together a list of ideas which if followed, will reduce your chance of having a break in. As you local garage door specialists, our expert technicians will be happy to help and assist you with any requests. Please do not hesitate to give us a call today on 01494 539 339.
How To Secure Your Garage and Home
- Install a security system – A security system in your garage, connected to your home security system, is your best line of defence. If anyone tries to enter your garage when your system is set, the alarm will sound and can alert emergency services to be dispatched. It is common to have an alarm in your home but often the garage is not covered by this so it is an easy target for thieves. Academy Garage Doors can advise you on garage door security systems. Please call us today on 01494 539 339.
- Security Shutters – At Academy Garage Doors we provide security shutters. Our experts can install and service the shutters. As an industry leading product range, the SeceuroShield range of Security Shutters, Retractable Gates and Window Bars can be combined to meet all requirements. They are manufactured at our head office in Lancaster, then supplied and installed by industry experts who are there to offer advice and guidance, beginning with your initial enquiry through to installation and aftercare. The emphasis behind our range of shutter and gate designs is on integration into your building and way of life; unobtrusive, attractive and easy to use. Proudly manufactured in the UK and installed to complement the look of the building, SeceuroShield products ensure they are effective and secure in daily use.
- Keep your remote in a safe place – Automated garage doors are becoming more and more popular in the UK. It’s convenient to keep your garage door opener in the car, but doing so makes it easy for burglars to snatch it. Get in the habit of bringing your garage door opener into the house with you. Attach the remote to your keychain if that helps you remember. Or, if you must leave it in the car, lock your remote in the glove compartment, so thieves can’t see or steal it.
- Keep your windows covered – Keep any windows in the garage covered with blinds or curtains so potential burglars can’t window shop. People who can see into your garage are a lot more likely to try to break in, especially if they can see tools and equipment of value. If that’s not possible, apply a translucent or opaque film to the glass. This lets light in but prevents others from seeing inside.
- Motion Detection Lights – A well-lit garage will deter thieves. If you install bright lighting, this will make burglars fear being seen and they are likely to go elsewhere. Motion detector lighting is better than keeping a light on all night because it saves energy when it’s off. You can shop for motion sensing lights that do everything from basic motion detection to alerting you through an app on your smartphone when it detects movement. To keep a complete eye on your garage, you could also look into outdoor and indoor security cameras. These can be expensive but are a very effective way of securing your garage and home and when you are away.
- Lock the Entry Door – The door that leads to your house from the garage should be as secure as other external doors around your house. You want to stop any potential intruders from making it farther into your home if they do somehow come into your garage. Make sure your garage door securely locks, which can include a deadbolt, having more than one lock, or putting in padlocks with a programmed entry code.
- Have a radio playing – If a burglar targets your home but then hears voices or any noise, this will probably make them turn back. That why turning a radio on in your home or garage can be a very smart idea for security. Noise indicates the human presence, and that’s something burglars want to avoid. This is an especially good idea if you are going on holiday so will not be in the home much. There are devices which allow you to put your radio on a timer so it does not play constantly.
Security For Roller Shutter Garage Doors
If you want to improve the security of your existing automatic roller shutter garage door, you should consult your local garage door specialist or the original manufacturer/supplier of the door. This is because the fitting of additional locks may cause damage to the motor and safety systems and adversely affect any warranty that might be on the product. All additions made to your garage door need to be in line with the security regulations and products should be CE marked. Competent garage door specialists such as Academy Garage Door will provide a trusted and quality service.
Installing a New Garage Door?
If you are looking at purchasing a new garage door and want it to be sufficiently secure. There are some features you should look out for to prevent burglary. Modern garage doors are constantly improving by providing innovative security features that make your garage and home safer. At the most basic level, your up-and-over garage door should have a rotary catch lock which firmly fixes the corners of the door leaf to the frame, locking it much more securely than a common bolt lock and making it practically impossible to force the door open. Additional top locking is also available utilising an optional retrofit kit.
On all automatic garage doors, when the door is closed the anti-lift kit automatically engages in the guide rail stop, immediately locking and securing it against a forced opening. This lock is purely mechanical and effective even in the event of a power failure, meaning that uninvited guests barely stand a chance with automatic doors. Automatic doors are becoming more popular probably because they are the safest choice in terms of security, however, this is only the case if you keep the remote locked away from thieves – if they get their hands on it, then breaking into your garage will be much easier.
For more help and advice, please do not hesitate to contact us on 01494 539 339 for more help and information. We provide our service in High Wycombe, Witney, Reading, Oxford, Maidenhead and surrounding areas.